Sunday, March 22, 2009

The Diaries of Torres Del Paine (Part 5)

Forks in the Road, Torres Del Paine
3/3, Day 4


Today is the long day – 20 some kilometers with a good portion of the route uphill. Two big bars of chocolate have sacrificed themselves and abandoned ship at Cuernos to lessen the weight. I’m on the road by 9am giving me at least 12 hrs of daylight to get to Campamento Torres at the base of Torres del Paine.

*


forks in the road

Munching and the pulling of plants. Horses with sleek bodies and whisking tails, they block the path with mouths to the ground. I have a newfound respect for horses and those who willingly give piggy-back rides.





*

Uphill -- tiny steps and frequent stops to bend over, allowing the weight of my backpack to shift from off my shoulders. I’ve come up with a road march song -- it consists of curse words and numbers.






Trees hanging on

*

Round 6:30ish, scrambling up a sheer rock, I threw my wooden trekking poles like javelins up the slope and held onto tree roots and branches, the wide river rushing below.

Getting here -- A sign, with arrows pointing in opposite directions, interrupts the trail. While pondering options, a passing fellow warns me in Spanish, Do not take that route. It is an old road and dangerous because of a big rock. Follow this one instead. He points towards the trees on the other side of the river. Thanking him, I continue to ponder with skepticism, and wait to see what direction passing trekkers take. Most everyone veers to the left in the way of the old road. I follow the majority and indeed encounter the dangerous rock.

*









The freaking JOY. I’ve changed my mind about signs. Yay signs!


Upon arrival, I see a familiar face – the fellow who warned of the rock. Turns out, he´s a park ranger.

Camp is built just before nightfall. A big soup, the remains of the last chocolate bar, nice conversations with neighboring campers and it’s bedtime.


getting better at this building a tent thing, tonight´s abode comes with a walkway.

This evening’s reading – understand the concepts of this book beforehand and leave it at home.

No comments:

 

View Larger Map